Friday, November 27, 2009

Where in the world is Bilbo? Milan






Now, if you'd told me a year ago that there would be a gnome on my balcony, I'd probably have laughed at you. But that was before I came across Bilbo.

Because Bilbo is no ordinary garden gnome. Bilbo is an intrepid explorer who has ben working his way around the world since April, when he left his family blog - Trials and Tribulations of a Southern Gardener - to go visiting. He's already visited blogs in eight different states in the US, Canada, Ireland and three different places in England. He's got some great stories - he's especially proud of having been to Buckingham Palace to have tea in the Queen's own café when he visited Matron. He's a bit foggy about some of the details - I can't quite work out whether Her Majesty was behind the tea urn at the time or serving the scones ...

And now he's here in Milan. He'd come all the way from Alberquerque, where he'd been to see Briana at I Can't Decide. By the time he arrived I was starting to get seriously worried. He'd been travelling for over three weeks, and only just made it in time. His sandwiches had run out the day before, and I suspect he'd been rationing them for the last week or so. He looked a bit pale and thin, so - being in Italy - a big plate of pasta was clearly called for. But after tucking into his spaghetti alla carbonara, he perked up considerably and started entertaining us with the tales of his travels.


We'd decided to let him rest for the first day, but he's a lively little chap and not the type to stay still for long. So he'd soon got us all playing hide and seek on the balcony. He won of course because he could slip into so many spaces. It took me ages to find him when he hid in my chrysanthemums ...


Then the next day we started on some serious sightseeing. Bilbo was very impressed with Milan's cathedral ...



.. and he also enjoyed Piazza della Scala. I think he was less bothered about the Opera House (top photo) though, than the giant snails we found in the square.



Bilbo will be here for another few days, but I know he's already anxious to move on. Where will he go next? He'd like to visit all your blogs and is just waiting for an invitation. I know that he'd like to visit other countries in Europe, but he also keeps talking about all the continents he's not yet seen. And then when he talks about the places has has been to he gets terribly nostalgic and says how much he'd like to go back. So wherever you are, I know he'd like to visit you.

Now, you may be wondering if it's safe for such a little chap to be gadding about the world on his own. Don't worry - his adopted Mum, Dirt Princess, has set up some strict rules and regulations to keep him safe. Turn to the Comments below and you'll see them posted there. But if you would like to have Bilbo to stay, all you need to do is leave a comment of your own and in a couple of days he'll choose where he wants to go next. The next stay will probably be quite special. If it takes as long for him to get from here to you as it did from Briana to me, then you might well be hosting him for Christmas ...



18 comments:

Carrie said...

What a fabulous post - you had me smiling away from the very start, so much so that the hubby asked what was going on. I've had a crappy day and hearing about Bilbo's travels (I've missed him) really cheered me up.
I would be so honoured to have Bilbo come visit me in N Ireland. I am quite sure he would like it here, what with the leprechans and all. Where ever he goes I wish him well xxxxx

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Sue, thank you for giving Bilbo such royal treatment! I love those pink snails!

Chloe m said...

Too cute. Keep it secret, keep it safe!
Rosey

Pam's English Garden said...

What a fun post, Sue!
I am embarrassed to say (please cover Bilbo's ears) I have no gnomes in my English Cottage Garden in the Pocono Mountains... My mother in England is shocked ... says it is not a true English garden. Maybe Bilbo can put me on the right track! Pam

Dirt Princess said...

Fantastic! I suppose Bilbo learned to ration out his food on his journey from Lincolnshire to North Carolina. That journey lasted a month and a half! No matter where he goies, I am always amazed by the hospitality of his hosts. Wondeful post! Thanks for taking good care of my boy!

Marsha said...

I wish I was Bilbo! What beautiful sights he has seen in Italy! Yes, I wish I was Bilbo :)

I would be honored to host Bilbo soon but I totally understand if he wants to do more world traveling before heading back stateside.

Ginger said...

What a cute post- and a big bowl of pasta for the little guy!!

Bilbo has already visited me -- just wanted to stop by and say hello!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

How lucky Bilbo is! I'm sure he's enjoyed his time in Milan. He visited my garden back in April, I can't believe how many places he's been since!

Darla said...

Wow! If Bilbo could really talk, the tales he could tell!! I have already hosted Bilbo and what a character he was, (very busy)! You have shown Biblo a grand time!

Helen said...

Once he has done his grand tour of Europe, I'd be happy to show him around Toronto... I'll keep my eyes open for his travels.

gittan said...

Wow! I wish I was Bilbo, travelling around like that. He must have had a very interesting visit in Milan. Makes me wonder if he would like the Swedish Christmas?

Becca's Dirt said...

Wow what a great place for Bilbo to visit. I know Bilbo has enjoyed his visit with you. Sweet little fellow.

Sue Swift said...

So - we wrote everyone's name on a piece of paper, put the pieces of paper face down on the table and shuffled them so no-one knew where they were. And then, while we counted backwards from ten, Bilbo di a little dance around the table. When we got to zero he stopped, and the name he was standing on was ... Gittan. So he's off to Sweden for Christmas. He's really, really excited , and will be on his way very soon.

But if you didn't get chosen this time, don't worry. Bilbo said to tell you he's really sorry that he couldn't pick you all, but that he will eventually. He doesn't seem to me to have any intention of ever stopping his travels, so keep following him and I'm sure that he'll soon be with you. He's certainly very flattered to see how many people have invited him to visit. He went all pink when I showed him your comments ...

Dirt Princess said...

YEAH! I am sooooo excited! He is gong to have a blast! Will you please email me her info so I can contact her. Thanks!

gittan said...

Yeah! Wow! If Dirt Princess is exited, can you immagine how I feel? =D
I haven't had much time to visit blotanical the last week or so,so I was reaaly surprised this morning when I found out that I'm the lucky girl having Bilbo as our guest for Christmas. I'll be waiting by the mailbox. Hope you'll have a wonderful day / gittan

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue, I'm a little late catching up with Bilbo's escapades. He's quite the world traveller now! So strange to think we've held the same little gold fella in our hand positioned him among our flowers :o)
cheerio, Nic in Gloucester, England

Jan said...

Oh, what a shame I missed my chance to have a little visitor! But I'll keep my eyes open for Bilbo from now on!

J.C. said...

I learnt about Bilbo and his travel today. Hope to have an opportunity to host him one day. This will be the start of my journey to learn about Bilbo and his globe-trotting adventure.

Related Posts with Thumbnails