Sunday, November 21, 2010

Who ordered that?



What on earth are these and wherever did they come from? I noticed them first at the end of October - lots of little green shoots sprouting in the container that had held my Four o'clocks and a couple of Honesty. They were clearly bulbs, and there were about twenty of them, so no chance of them having self-seeded.

I've racked my brains and I have absolutely no memory of having planted bulbs in that container. If I did, they must have gone in at the beginning of spring, if not before. I don't actually remember planting any bulbs since last autumn. But what are they, and why have they come up now of all times of the year?

I did have a quick look round the container to see if there might be an old forgotten label lying around. But I know myself too well to have really believed I'd find one. Label the containers? Who me?

So it's wait and see time. Till next spring presumably, when with any luck there'll be some flowers. Oh well, only four months to go ...

7 comments:

i cant decide said...

Hopefully you will have a pretty surprise next spring!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Sue girl how are you !
I bet they are little bulblets that snuck into that pot when you weren't looking ? haha .. I know i will be looking at plants next Spring wondering "how the heck did that happen?" LOL
Hey .. I changed my blog name/link a little in case you wanted to drop by .. it is now http://canadiangardenjoy.blogspot.com/ .. I needed to be MORE Canadian eh ! hehe
Joy : )

Carolyn ♥ said...

Oh this will be a very fun mystery to wait for...

BernieH said...

Don't you love these little surprises? There must be a naughty little gardening imp that pops into gardens all over the world because I've found plants I'm sure I never planted just popping up unexpectedly!!!

Elgin_house said...

They look rather gladiolus-y to me--does that sound at all plausible? I'll be interested to see when you end up with this spring...

Jan said...

Any chance they could be that orange flowered stuff (with sort of small gladioli type flowers) that grows a lot in the UK? Make sure you post a photo when they do flower!

Sue Swift said...

Hi everyone,
Yes, next spring is going to be fun.
Jan - you may well be right. Montbretia is what you're thinking of, I think. We had it in the garden when I was a child, so if I'd seen it I may well have been tempted. We'll see..

Related Posts with Thumbnails