Sunday, April 17, 2011

April Heatwave



We're never satisfied really. A month ago I was moaning about how cold it had been. Although average minimum temperatures are around 6°C in March, they'd dropped to below freezing at night, and I'd had to put the fleece back on some of the tenderest plants. But then it changed and the temperature rose to more normal figures. And kept on rising.... Only a week or so ago, it rose to 32°C - unheard of in April, which usually has average temperatures of around 18°C as a daytime high. I was watering as if it was mid-August rather than spring, and these little daisies just fainted one lunchtime when I hadn't had time to water in the morning. I have to say I knew just how they felt - I was in much the same state as I wandered around town.


The daisies recovered, despite also falling prey to a nasty attack of powdery mildew. I suspect that some of the spring blooms came and went rather quicker than they might otherwise have done, though. A pity, but the heat has pushed on some of the seedlings. The aubergines are now through, and the tomatoes are begging to be transplanted.

The best show so far this month has come from the wallflowers though. I planted far too many last year, but was looking forward to seeeing them all in bloom together. I'd planted some yellow ones and some browny ones whose seeds I'd collected from last year's plants, and some red ones from a packet. I wanted them mixed in the containers so had mixed the seeds together too. How would they come out? Well, those in the first container were all yellow.

And so were those in the second container. And the second, and the third... I'll spare you the photos of all six containers. Out of about forty plants, every one that's bloomed so far has been yellow, except two which have shown a few browny streaks. Given that my sedum is also in flower, it's been a very yellow month so far....

There are some wallflower plants which haven't yet bloomed - nor even put out buds come to that. Are those the red ones and are they simply a later variety than the yellow ones, or have they just decided they can't be bothered? Time will tell...


20 comments:

Jan said...

What a shame about your wallflowers, but I suppose that's Nature for you! We've had it unusually warm for the time of year too, so I hope it's not going to be a heatwave summer. I won't be able to stand it!

Alistair said...

Hello Sue, coming from the cooler climate of Scotland, I would also be flagging with a temp of 32c. I have to say though we have had 20c on a few occasions which is unusual for April. Enjoy the fragrance of your Wallflower even if you do feel a yellow overload.

The Sage Butterfly said...

Everything seems to be bursting out of the boxes. It all looks very lovely and healthy!

Kate/ Beyond the Brambles said...

We had a heat wave this time last year, but it has been so cool this year that I'm marveling at how I grew all my seedlings in such heat. Who knows what the weather will bring next?

Pond Supply said...

Really,This one is very nice garden.I like this garden and garden nature.It is so cool and fantastic post of garden.

Diana Sesarin said...

I like those flowers and also your post about garden.

Bom said...

32C is definitely hot for you. I live in the tropics and I'd probably have the a/c going full blast at that temp as well. Weather is just crazy. For my plants, my worry is the early onset of rainy season which does not normally portend good things in the coming months (usually more and stronger typhoons). Climate change and global warming would be excellent reasons to have more plants don't you think?

sewa mobil said...

I get many information from this......thankyou.So beautiful....

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that I've been on the move again, this time to Wordpress!

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

We, too have had terribly hot weather after complaining of a cold spring. Perhaps it serves us right. Even though it is not quite what you wanted, your yellow wallflowers are still pretty.
nellie

Timberclick said...

It must be paradise when this happens, although more than a day of it may become extremely dehydrating..

John Green said...

That's strange that those plants are all yellow! Maybe it's to do with cross pollination or maybe just the heatwave!

i cant decide said...

The yellow flowers in the last pic are so pretty!

I hope next season you will be able to do anything you would like in the garden!

Pest control Portland said...

The weather's can sometimes be an arch enemy of the blooms. But it's not the weather alone as you may already know it. Judging with how your blooms look like, you are a pro! Congrats!

Nathan - Snow Shovel Guy said...

Sorry to hear about the wallflowers as well. What you have assembled in the boxes looks great (I do some landscaping as well). Keep up the good work and please keep posting. Thanks.

quu said...

Sue, where are you?? We miss you. :)

Jan said...

Are you alright Sue? It's a long while since your last post.

Barbee' said...

Well, it's far too warm here again this year, 2012, and it makes me feel like your last year's daises looked. Wish we could grow wall flowers here, but the climate is just too wrong for them. I loved the ones I saw in England years ago.

Garden Designers said...

i'm glad to see that you didn't let them sweet flowers die. The weather was hot in last few days and i was also worried about my flowers but the small plants and flowers survived well in it.

~Aansy Stone

Red Maple Tree said...

Your flowers beds are so wonderful. And the yellow flowers are looking so beautiful. Thank you for sharing such a good post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails