Sunday, July 15, 2007

A much neglected balcony ...


I was having a look at other people's blogs today and, when I got to Carol's, saw she had posted for Gardener's Bloom Day. Why so early? I thought, convinced it must be something like the tenth today. Time flies ...



If you drop in regularly, you'll have noticed that I've not been posting much at all recently, and the posts that I have managed to get up have ignored the balcony all together. Unfortunately, I've been hit by a nasty attack of the dreaded lurgy which has had me covered in hives and swelling up painfully - especially my hands. Not ideal for either gardening or typing. Back in June I mentioned it, saying I thought it was an allergy. But no, it's a virus. So I have to apologise to the loquat tree yet again, this time for false accusations. I've spent most of the past two months lying down covered in packs of ice. The doctors have cheerily said that it's not serious and will pass of its own accord in three or four months - perhaps a bit longer. Gee thanks.



All this to explain why the balcony is currently a bit of a disaster. I've hardly been out there except to water. Add to that the fact that half of it was destroyed by the caterpillar plague of a couple of months ago, and that I had actually intended to be in England for July and August and so hadn't planted anything which would bloom in those months. All made worse by the fact they came to repair part of the balcony railing the other day. A chunk had fallen off the balcony above, and an inspection showed that all the balconies on our corner were suffering from rust and needed to be seen to urgently. Which meant they had to move half my containers - not terribly gently. They're all now piled up at one end while we finish repainting. Or rather while my husband does. I'm using the few hours a day when the pills kick in and I have full use of my hands for other things.



So - what is blooming on the balcony. Not a lot, but a few things are coming on. The plumbago which I featured last month is still blooming strongly, as are the geraniums. The periwinkles are doing well too. The only one in bloom is one I picked up at the garden centre, but I've also got a few which were grown from seed which are coming on well. Periwinkles are a funny flower. I find them difficult to start off, but once they're established they don't seem to be bothered by pests, diseases or any amount of neglect. The antirrhinums got their second wind and have been good over the past few weeks, especially one beautiful bushy plant which was covered in pale pink flowers, and the zinnias and marigolds have come into bloom. The zinnias in particular made a sudden spurt just after I'd said last month that they weren't doing well. They've doubled in size and, apart from the blooms already out, are covered in buds. The melons are in bloom and starting to form fruit, and my little oleander has bloomed. There are several plants that I've had to give up on though, and accept that if they haven't flowered by now they're not going to. This year's failures. But that can be the subject of the next few posts ...

4 comments:

Alyssa said...

Hi Sue, I had to look up what "lurgy" was! I've never heard or read the word before. What you've got sounds like a real pain in the you-know-where. Hope you feel better soon.

Your flowers look so pretty and zinnias and marigolds can always be counted on to hang in there. They are two of my favorites.

Thanks,
Alyssa

Sue Swift said...

Hi Alyssa,

I suspect "lurgy" is a British expression which never quite made it across the pond ...
Sadly "you-know-where" is only one of the places it's painful. I write sitting on an ice-pack ..

Sue

Carol Michel said...

Get well soon! You do have quite a few flowers blooming, regardless of such a tough summer for you and the plants. I am doubly-appreciative that you participated in Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day. Thank you!

Carol at May Dreams Gardens

Linda said...

You have lots of beautiful blooms on your balcony. Lots is happening in My Canadian Garden ... hope you can stop by for a visit. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails